Saturday, April 01, 2006

I don't know

Looking at their faces all I can see is confusion and pain. I know what I have to do. I have to make them understand that people die even when you don't want them to, when you aren't ready.I know what my job is but still it makes me a little sick.
I can see what they can't. I have seen the future, I know what his future will hold and I will have to find a way to tell them nothing good is in the cards. No miracle is waiting, no reversal of fortune, he wont be winning any lottery here.
They slowly began to understand. I saw their fear, then their horror and finally self righteous anger. Their will to protect him from what we could do.
It is a beautiful thing thing to see that moment when the ego drops away and everyone begins the business of showing how deep their love runs.
They are now a formidable force of protection..they are protecting him from us, the medical profession..we are the enemy in his battle to die with grace and dignity and that is the way it has to be.

I am waiting for the day when we stop being the obstacle and become leaders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Google News
  • Edit-Me
  • Edit-Me
  • copyright harleynalice 2006